Background of Institution
KDU, an institution that has over 32 years of history and experience, believes in providing quality wholesome and holistic education, and have traditionally been successful in preparing students for top universities all over the world.
Established in 1983, and a pioneer in Malaysian private education, KDU was one of the first private colleges in Malaysia to have its own purpose-built campus. It was the first education institution to introduce the concept of overseas twinning programmes to the country through its American Degree Program in 1983 and Business School in 1986.
The institution, as KDU College then, was awarded the university college status in August 2010 – a reflection of its offering of proprietary and twinning programmes, and the growth of its international student population.
In January 2015, KDU University College moved to its new flagship campus at Utropolis Glenmarie, with its state-of-the-art facilities and a contemporary teaching and learning environment. KDU University College offers a wide range of programmes at certificate, diploma, degree and master levels, and has introduced home-grown degree programmes that are at the forefront of growing industries, reflecting its promise of being a real-world university meeting real-world needs. These include hospitality, tourism and culinary arts, game development and computing, communications and creative arts, business, as well as engineering.
KDU College, situated at the Damansara Jaya campus, offers quality programmes with top universities around the world and continues to inspire its students to greater heights. Its close collaboration with top-ranking foreign university and education partners also ensures students of globally-recognised pre-university and bachelor degree qualifications that are equivalent to those awarded by the partners' home campuses. KDU students thus have the best of both worlds at their doorstep.
KDU University College and KDU College are members of Paramount Education, a fully-integrated education services provider for primary, secondary, tertiary, and postgraduate level studies as well as executive and professional development programmes.
- Kolej Damansara Utama (KDU) was Malaysia's first purpose-built private college established in Damansara Jaya to provide additional tertiary education opportunities in the drive towards nation building. The institution was later renamed as KDU College.
- Attained ISO 9002 certification and was awarded Multimedia Super Corridor status.
- Awarded the University College status by Malaysia's Ministry of Higher Education and began introducing homegrown business, computing, engineering, communication as well as culinary and hospitality management degree programmes.
- Won the Silver award in the Education & Learning Category at Putra Brand Awards.
- Won the Silver award in the Education & Learning Category at Putra Brand Awards.
- KDU University College moved to its brand new 10-acre flagship campus in Utropolis, Glenmarie, which was designed around the philosophy that learning is experiential and can happen anywhere.
- Awarded the CN50 Students Choice Award for Top 10 Education Institutions in Malaysia.
- Won the Bronze award in the Education & Learning Category at Putra Brand Awards.
As one of the leading providers in the field of private tertiary education, KDU's high standards of academic provision are well recognised by employers of various industries and universities worldwide. Among the qualified academic lecturers appointed, more than 80% have achieved a doctoral degree (PhD) and/or a master's degree.
Apart from excellence in teaching and learning, KDU has undertaken research and development to enrich our academic capability and contribute to the body of knowledge. The Postgraduate and Research Centre is the focal point in developing research initiatives, administering research funding and promoting quality research among academics in KDU. It acts as a catalyst in encouraging KDU academics to develop their academic career as well as providing quality training to promote research excellence.
KDU prides itself with its impressive alumni whom many have successfully transferred to universities around the world and emerged as top students from these universities to become competent graduates who excel in their workplace.
KDU offers a wide range of programmes at certificate, diploma, degree and master levels.
- American Degree Transfer Program (ADP)
- Cambridge A Levels
- Accounting & Finance
- Computer Science
- Game Development
- Software Engineering
- Creative Arts
- Hospitality & Tourism
- Culinary Arts
- ACCA & CAT
- English Language
KDU's close collaboration with top-ranking foreign university partners ensures students of globally-recognised qualifications that are equivalent to those awarded by the partners' home campuses.
Academic Facilities & Resources
The year 2015 saw an exciting transition for KDU University College as it began operations at the brand new 10-acre flagship campus. This RM320 million campus is located within Paramount Utropolis, a self-contained university metropolis based on the concept of ‘live and learn'.
The campus enables a highly-conducive environment for learning while providing ample space and facilities to encourage collaboration and discussions that lead to truly experiential learning. The Glenmarie Campus features:
- A total built-up area of 121,751 sq. ft
- Two towers for student accommodation consisting of seven floors each that accommodates up to 584 students
- Nine fully equipped lecture halls that can house up to 250 students each
- 60 state-of-the-art classrooms
- Over 41,000 sq. ft of library space that spans three floors and includes a custom designed breakout area
- Dedicated facilities for Hospitality, Tourism and Culinary Art that includes a 5-star hotel mock up suite, kitchens and restaurants
- Game Showcase that is dedicated to Game Art, Game Software and Technology
- Study Pods that provides spaces for student discussions and workshops
- Collaboration spaces for students to meet, study and mingle
Student Support Services & Student Development Activities
The Student & Alumni Centre (SAC) is responsible for providing a variety of non-academic support services to the students of KDU and adjusting the services it provides to create and maintain a vibrant student life to enhance the positive experience for all students of KDU.
Units of SAC
- Student Life & Services
- Career & Counselling Services
- Global Career Placement Services
- Health and Wellness Centre
- KDU Alumni's Core
Under its units of SAC, various support services are also provided including:
- Accommodation services
- Personal counselling
- Orientation and briefing programmes
- Leadership camps
- International students services
- Career counselling
- Student clubs and societies
- University placement
Recognition & Achievement
Putra Brand Award 2015
KDU University College won the Bronze award in the Education & Learning Category at Putra Brand Awards.
CN50 Students Choice Awards 2015
KDU University College has been nominated as the Top 10 Education Institutions in Malaysia, at the CN50 Students Choice Awards.
KDU University College's culinary team wins two gold awards at HOFEX 2013, Hong Kong
Team Independent, the culinary competition team from KDU University College's School of Hospitality, Tourism & Culinary Arts recently clinched two gold, a silver and a bronze at the Hong Kong International Culinary Classic (HKICC), under the HOFEX 2013 which were held from the 7 to 10 May 2013. HOFEX is the largest Food and Hospitality Tradeshow in Asia, stepping into its 15th edition this year.
KDU University College awarded Platinum Status from ACCA
In April this year, KDU was awarded Platinum status for the ACCA approved learning partner-student tuition scheme.
KDU University College appointed to lead MyGameDev
KDU UC was appointed by PEMANDU's Educational National Key Results Area (NKEA) Steering Committee to lead in creating more awareness and developing the local game development industry in Malaysia through the MyGameDev.
Cambridge Learner Awards
KDU UC's students continue to win excellence awards in the Cambridge International Examination General Certificate of Education (CIE GCE A Level) in 2014 including ‘Top in the World' and ‘Top In Malaysia' categories.