Southern College was established in 1990 owing to the generous support of the Malaysian community. It is the first non-profit community college in the country wholly-funded by public donation and is open to Malaysian students of all races. In 2010, the number of students enrolled at Southern College was 1200. Southern College aims to provide a pleasant learning environment for students. The size of the campus is 10 hectares and is landscaped based on the natural scenery of the Suzhou District in China. There is a beautiful replica of a Chinese garden - the Recreation Park, as well as pavilions, small bridges, lakes and mini waterfalls.
The campus is located 15km from the Johor Bahru city centre and Singapore is situated just across the causeway. The college is within easy reach from the Senai International Airport and accessible via the North-South Expressway.
Shopping is convenient as there are several shopping centres within the neighborhood such as Jaya Jusco, Giant Hypermarket, Sutera Mall, Plaza Tasek, Plaza Skudai, Plaza Angsana and Skudai Parade.
Vision and Mission
The vision of Southern College
The Great Learning University : Southern College education is a Paradigm where the East and West meet.
The five missions of Southern College
- To provide diploma, degree, master, and research programmes for all communities in Malaysia.
- To train a new generation of bi-linguists or tri- linguists
- To offer higher education for secondary school leavers at a lower and more affordable price
- To train human resources needed for the country's development and community
- To produce students who have moral values and good virtues
Course Curriculum & Student Outcomes
Southern College currently offers various programmes that are approved by the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) through its various schools :
- School of Humanities & Social Sciences
- School of Business & Management
- School of Engineering & information Technology
- School of Art & Design (SAD)
- School of Professional & Continuing Education (SPACE)
- School of Tourism & Hospitality (STH)
- School of Traditional Medicine & Chinese Medicine
- School of Foundation Studie
An Overview of Programmes Offered The following are programmes offered and approved by MQA :
School of Humanities & Social Science
- Diploma in English
- Diploma in Chinese Studies
- Diploma in Journalism
- Certificate in Education
- 3+0 BA (Hons) English (University of Wales, UK
School of Business & Management
- Diploma in Accounting
- Diploma in Business Administration
- Diploma in International Business
- Diploma in Marketing
- Diploma in Logistics Management
- Diploma in Financial Analysis
- 3+0 BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance (University of Wales, UK)
- 3+0 BA (Hons) Business Management (University of Teesside, UK) School of Engineering and Information Technology
- Diploma in Information Technology
- Diploma in Computer Science
- Diploma in Electrical and Electronic Engineering
- BA (Hons) Computing (University of Teesside, UK
School of Art & Design
- Diploma in Industrial Design
- Diploma in Advertising Design
- Diploma in Visual Art
- 3+0 Bachelor of Visual Art (University of Teesside, UK
School of Traditional Medicine and Chinese Medicine
- 3+2 BSc Traditional Chinese Medicine (Tianjin University, China
School of Foundation Studies
- Certificate in Computing
- Certificate in Business Studies
- Foundation in Busines
School of Professional & Continuing Education (Space)
- BSc Business Information Systems Engineering (Top-up Degree) (University of Glamorgan, UK
School of Tourism and Hospitality (STH)
- Tourism and Hospitality Management (THM) Progra
|Programme Offered||Affiliated to|
|Tourism & Hospitality Management Program||Coleman College, Singapore|
|Master in Business Administration||Shu-Te University, Taiwan|
|BSc Business Information Systems Engineering|
|University of Glamorgan, UK|
|3+0 BA (Hons) Accounting and Finance||University of Wales, UK|
Partner Universities & Colleges for Credit Transfer
Students can further their studies at overseas universities and colleges through a credit transfer arrangement.
Credit Transfer Partner Universities
Academic Facilities & Resources
- 25-acre campus
- Four blocks of student dormitories with well- equipped facilities and tight security
- The library occupies three floors with a large collection of books, journals and audio-visual materials and a computerised system of management
- The Computer Centre is equipped with state-of- the-art computer facilities
- A computerised and well-equipped language laboratory
- Nine lecture halls of different sizes can be used for various activities such as teaching, debates, academic seminars, art performances, etc
- Multi-purpose hall with a capacity of 2000 people
- Lecture hall, a research centre, museum and art gallery
- Wan Heong Hall, various rooms and the basement provide ample space for cultural activities
- There is an arc stage for theatrical performances at the Recreation Park
- A football field, two basketball courts, three tennis courts and two volleyball courts
- School bus service
Traditional and Digital Library
We have a wide range of books on humanities, commerce, computer science, electronic and electrical engineering, and social sciences. The present collection has about 80,000 volumes (including books, periodicals and audio-visual materials.) The library provides a pleasant and conductive environment for study.
Our computer equipment is less than four years old and linked by a local network. Broadband internet is available throughout the campus. Ninety students can be taught on computers at the same time.
Student Support Services
The four blocks of student dormitories are located within the pleasant campus of Southern College. The objective of having the dormitories is not just to provide comfortable accommodation for the student but also a training ground for those who live there. Because boarding life forms a part of the College's culture, its residents are expected to learn team work, independence and self-discipline while living in the dormitories.
- A drying pation beneath of the roof
- Washrooms on each floor
- Public phones
- A television set in the canteen
- Daily newspaper are available
- Study rooms on levels 3 and 4
- Car par
Scholarships & Financial Aid
The College has a scholarship scheme for freshman. Each year, it offers over 300 scholarships valued at RM3 million (which includes full and half scholarships) to students who have achieved excellent results in their high school examinations.
There are also study grants valued at RM2, 500 per annum available for needy students.
Eleven courses achieved accreditation from the Malaysian Qualifications Agency (MQA) :
- Diploma in Accounting (A1562)
- Diploma in Business Administration(A5189)
- Diploma in International Business (A5189)
- Diploma in Marketing(A5807)
- Diploma in Information Technology (A5190)
- Diploma in Computer Science (A8297)
- Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering (A1605)
- Diploma in Chinese Studies (A4472)
- Diploma in Journalism (A6814)
- Diploma in Advertising Design (A7366
Southern College has academic links with many universities in countries all over the world such as China, Taiwan, Hong Kong, Australia, New Zealand, the United Kingdom and the United States. Through credit transfer, our diploma graduates can further their studies at the respective institutions within a period of nine months to two years. In September 2003, the college was granted permission by the Ministry of Higher Education and Ministry of Domestic Affairs to recruit foreign students. The first batch of students from China started their diploma studies in February 2004.
In 2007, Our Diploma in Chinese Studies, Diploma in Electrical & Electronic Engineering and Diploma in Information Technology programmes have been approved and given the status of full accreditation MQA.