Background of Institution
The University of Reading Malaysia (UoRM) is the first overseas campus of the University of Reading in the UK and is based in EduCity, Iskandar Puteri. The campus was officially inaugurated in February 2016. Ranked in the top 200 of universities worldwide (QS World University Rankings 2019), the University has a long-established international reputation for the quality of its teaching and research.
With the triple accredited Henley Business School, which is part of the University, students can complete a UK qualification at Foundation, Undergraduate, Postgraduate and Doctoral level in a range of subjects including business, accounting, finance, Islamic finance, real estate, quantity surveying, building surveying, construction management, psychology and pharmacy.
The University of Reading has a rich heritage dating back over 150 years and in 2016, celebrated its 90th anniversary as a university in its own right. Together with the world-leading Henley Business School, now in its 73rd year, it continually invests in its facilities. The University ensures too that its approaches to teaching and research are up to date and relevant. The opening of the Malaysia campus is the latest milestone in the successful history of the University and an important part of its future.
A few milestones which mark the University of Reading’s course through time:
- 1860 – Schools of Art and Science established, soon becoming University College Reading, an Oxford University Extension institution.
- 1904 – The first international student registers at the college, hailing from Kenya.
- 1926 – University of Reading created by Royal Charter – making it the only university to be awarded a charter between the two world wars.
- 1945 – Henley Management College is founded, the first business school in the UK.
- 2008 – Henley Business School (formerly Henley Management College) becomes part of the University.
- 2011 – University of Reading invited by the Ministry of Higher Education in Malaysia to establish its first overseas campus in Iskandar Malaysia.
- 2013 – University of Reading Malaysia (UoRM) starts delivering foundation and undergraduate degrees from its teaching centre in Menara Kotaraya, Johor Bahru.
- 2016 – Inaugural opening ceremony of UoRM in EduCity in Iskandar Puteri, Johor.
- 2016 – University of Reading celebrates 90th anniversary.
- 2017 – University of Reading Malaysia graduates first cohort of students.
Student Mobility – Studying in the UK
The University of Reading Malaysia, the first multi-discipline overseas campus of the University of Reading in the UK, is offering a great opportunity for students on both campuses to undertake student mobility by choosing one of the following:
- Studying a minimum of one term abroad
- Studying one full year abroad
- Full transfer from the Malaysia campus to the UK
Studying abroad at the UK campus is an exciting opportunity to enhance your future career options, gaining subject knowledge, skills and experiences that will impress future employers and help you stand out from the crowd.
UoRM students who spend part of their degree at the UK campus, will become enriched and well-rounded individuals as they will meet and collaborate with peers from different walks of life, be introduced to different learning methods, experience different cultures and improve their spoken English.
To find out more about the opportunities and eligibility, please contact the International Office by emailing: firstname.lastname@example.org.
- University English 1 (N/KJP/00526)
- University English 2 (N/KJP/00525)
Foundation, Study and Language Institute
- Foundation in Business (N/010/3/0173)
- Foundation in Science (N/010/3/0256)
Henley Business School Malaysia
- BSc Finance and Business Management (N/340/6/0485)
- BSc Finance & Business Management (N/340/6/0485)
- BA Management and Business (N/345/6/0827)
- BSc Accounting & Finance (N/343/6/0214)
- BSc Real Estate (N/341/6/0042)
- BSc Quantity Surveying (N/582/6/0011)
- BSc Building Surveying (N/582/6/0014)
- BSc Construction Management (N/582/6/0015)
- MPharm 2+2 (A 4-year undergraduate pharmacy degree) (N/727/6/0079)
- BSc Psychology (N/311/6/0074)
Henley Business School Malaysia
- MSc Investment Banking and Islamic Finance (N/343/7/0215)
- The Henley MBA (N/340/7/0632)
- MSc Construction Management*
*Subject to approval
- PhD in Built Environment (N/581/8/0088)
- PhD in Pharmacy (N/727/8/0077)
- PhD in Psychology (N/311/8/0080)
Henley Business School Malaysia
- PhD in Business & Management (N/345/8/0944)
Academic Resources and Facilities
Our state-of-the-art campus at EduCity in Iskandar Puteri is an architecturally stunning campus environment, perfect for studying and networking.
Located just 40 minutes away from Singapore International Airport and only 20 minutes from Senai International Airport in Johor, the campus covers an area of 27,000 square meters and is an integrated, self-contained space that combines flexible teaching, research and learning spaces with inspiring social spaces. The design for the campus made the finals in the World Architecture Festival Awards in 2013.
The Heartspace - the central parkland space between the two buildings - came from the idea to emulate the open, natural space of the University of Reading's Whiteknights campus in the UK, but to translate this for a tropical setting. The Heartspace is now a plant-filled space for students to relax and socialise. There is also an amphitheatre for talks, live music and events.
- Flexible research, teaching and learning spaces, including modern lecture theatres
- Cutting edge teaching and research laboratories
- A top class Learning Resource Centre
- A Building Information Modelling lounge for our Built Environment Programmes
- A flagship dealing room which gives students the feel of a real trading floor
- A purpose-built moot court to enable experiential learning
- High speed WiFi across the campus
- Dedicated student association space
- Muslim prayer room
Our Teaching and Research
The University of Reading Malaysia uses the latest in research-led teaching and learning methods. As a research-led university, we base our teaching on the most up-to-date research evidence, taught by experts in their field. We offer students world-leading learning resources and one-to-one teaching and support. Our focus is on blended and experiential learning. Through team work, joint project collaboration with students in other programmes and industry placements, the learning experience is deepened.
- 98 percent of University of Reading research is internationally recognised
- 78% is classed as internationally excellent
- 27% is deemed world-leading
*Research Excellence Framework 2014
Student Support Services
At the University of Reading Malaysia, we are committed to supporting students as they adjust to university life. As domestic and international students transition into a new teaching and learning experience, our academic and support staff are here to help. The teaching context, teaching approaches, learning, curriculum and intercultural competencies are all important areas of adjustment. To help students to make a smooth transition to the new, more independent and self-motivated way of learning, they are allocated a Personal Tutor within their particular subject discipline.
Personal Tutors act as the key point of contact throughout a student’s journey at UoRM. They will help to guide students and introduce them to a wider network of development opportunities within the University. Personal Tutors can help students to:
- Make decisions about their course and reflect on their academic progress
- Formulate plans to support their academic and personal/professional development
- Connect students to other academics and opportunities in their field of study or subject area
Student Development Activities for Employability
UoRM students can maximise on the University’s strong industry links by meeting and networking with professionals who are invited on campus as guest speakers. Each semester the University holds an enhancement week where industry professionals are invited to deliver career talks, offer internship opportunities and run workshops to prepare students for the workforce. Students are also encouraged to take up an internship during the term break. Many of those who completed internships have been offered full-time positions by their respective employers.
The Student Experience
Clubs and Societies
Learning is a life experience, and so we encourage learning outside the classroom as well; be it doing new things, building new friendships or skills, in a step-by-step journey to becoming a confident, well-rounded individual.
An essential part of the student community at the University of Reading Malaysia is our clubs and societies. Whatever your interests, it is great to share them with other people, so when students arrive at the University of Reading Malaysia we will encourage them to get involved and choose from an array of clubs, including: sports, dance, music and Leo Club. Students also have the opportunity to launch their own club or society. We practice an inclusive culture at the University of Reading Malaysia and encourage all students to grow together as individuals and also as part of a close-knit community.
Recognition and Accreditation
At a Glance
- Ranked in the top 200 universities worldwide (QS World University Rankings 2019)
- Henley Business School is triple-accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB), the EMFD Quality Improvement System (EQUIS) and the Association of MBAs (AMBA)
- The Henley Executive MBA is ranked UK #4 and world #36 (Economist Executive MBA rankings 2015)
- 90% of undergraduate programme lecturers at UoRM hold PhDs
- Ranked UK #4 and world 43 in Architecture/Built Environment (QS World University ranking by subject 2018)
- University of Reading Malaysia’s Built Environment degrees are triple-accredited by Royal Institution of Chartered Surveyors (RICS), Chartered Institute of Building (CIOB) and Pacific Association of Quantity Surveyors (PAQS).
- Reading School of Pharmacy ranked top 10 in UK for Pharmacy and Pharmacology (The Guardian University Rankings 2017).
- University of Reading Malaysia’s psychology degree is accredited by the British Psychological Society (BPS)
- 98% of University of Reading research is internationally recognised
Scholarships and Financial Aid
The University of Reading Malaysia awards scholarships – some worth up to 100 percent – to deserving and academically excellent students.
Applicants are selected based on their academic achievements and the socio-economic status of their family. In addition, there are various options and sources of financial assistance available, ensuring that the world-leading education that we offer is accessible and affordable for all.
Why Choose the University of Reading Malaysia?
The University of Reading Malaysia (UoRM) is the first overseas campus of the University of Reading in the UK, which is ranked in the top 200 universities globally (QS World University Rankings) and has a long-established reputation for the quality of its teaching and research.
Uniquely, UoRM students are given the opportunity to choose to study part of their course in the UK, which means that getting a world class degree with UK study experience is more flexible, accessible and affordable than ever before.
University of Reading students from the UK are also given the chance to study at UoRM, enabling even greater international collaboration and enhancing the teaching and learning experience for all.
We offer a wide range of professional programmes at foundation, undergraduate and postgraduate level. Home to the internationally renowned, triple-accredited Henley Business School (one of only a few triple-accredited business schools in Asia), our programmes include Real Estate, which is ranked the best in the UK (Complete University Guide).
Students will be taught by international academic staff – the best in their field – and have the same high-quality learning experience as in the UK. More than 90 percent of teaching staff at UoRM hold PhDs. 98 percent of the University of Reading Malaysia’s students are employed or in further study within six months of graduation. UoRM offers an up-to-date and innovative approach to teaching, designed to ensure that students are well prepared to excel in their chosen careers.